1. General Statement
ExCeL requires disabled visitors to be afforded the same opportunities as able-bodied visitors enjoy, and to this extent organisers must ensure that exhibition stands are easily accessible to visitors using wheelchairs
ExCeL has been purposely designed and built to allow unrestricted access to disabled visitors and to conform to Part M of the Building Regulations.
We aim to provide full access to all the facilities within the venue and recognises that disabled visitors may require extra equipment, facilities and assistance both routinely and in an emergency.
ExCeL London welcomes assistance dogs with visually and/or hearing-impaired visitors.
2. Facilities For Disabled Visitors
The following facilities are available to disabled visitors:
(a) Access to car parking:
i. A minimum of 4.7% of the total car parking spaces provided at the eastern and western car parks are wide bays with minimum dimensions of 3600 by 4800 mm. Thus there will be 158 bays suitable for disabled drivers on-site.
ii. Access to the building from these bays is along walkways with a gradient of no more than 1:15.
(b) Access into and within the building:
i. All public entrances allow for access by wheel chair via low gradient ramps and an automatic opening door. Once inside the venue, all floors are level, offering unobstructed access for the disabled.
ii. Lift control panels are located at a level, which can be easily reached by someone in a wheelchair, and Braille or tactile buttons have also been used. All lifts have a visual and voice indication of the floor reached and an intercom facility activated by an alarm button. The entire centre may be reached by lifts, the only exception being the second level of organisers' offices.
iii. All stairs and ramps are fitted with handrails and balustrades.
iv. All public corridors and passageways have a minimum clear width of 1200mm.
v. Strong tactile differences in paving are provided to indicate hazardous areas. E.g. Dock edge indicated by cobble stone surface.
vi. Door vision panels giving a zone of visibility between 900mm and 500mm above floor level are provided on all public access doors.
(c) Other Facilities/Provisions:
- ExCeL provides 40 toilets for the disabled, which are located throughout the building; near the Business Centre, the break-out rooms, the conference suites on Level 3 and the restaurants and cafes on Level 0 and Level 2.
- Non-slip flooring has been used throughout the building.
- All reception counters, bars and self service counters and at least half the area where seating is provided is accessible to wheelchair users.
- Self Service equipment such as cash point machines and telephones will be located at levels suitable to wheelchair users.
- Provision has been made for non-visual indication of stair locations for those with impaired vision.
- Pictographic signs and symbols have been used to guide people around the building.
- Visitors with hearing and sight disabilities can gather
information about the event which they wish to visit by
- The prominent visual displays that are situated inside the Central Boulevard.
- The Information Desks sited at either end of the Boulevard.
3. Wheelchair Hire
ExCeL London retains a small number of wheelchairs available for daily hire from the west information desk.
Wheelchairs are loaned on a first come first served basis and cannot be reserved.
Wheelchairs are hired free of charge but visitors must leave credit card details to cover a £300.00 security deposit which will be charged if the wheelchair is not returned.
The deposit amount is not deducted from the customer card - on return of the wheelchair, the card details and loan form will be destroyed.
4. Blind and Visually Impaired Visitors
ExCeL London customer service staff have completed visual awareness training in order that we are able to provide practical guidance to blind and visually impaired visitors. Should you require any assistance during a planned visit, please contact us via email at email@example.com ahead of your arrival and with as much notice as possible indicating the level of assistance you require, and we will do our utmost to offer our support during your visit. Please note, this service is offered on a best endeavours basis and cannot be guaranteed.
ExCeL London is fully committed to assisting those who have more detailed and specific access information or requirements. For further advice please call our information line on 0207 069 5000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We aim to do our utmost to make the venue welcoming and fully inclusive to all visitors and will do our best to assist with any enquiry you may have.
ExCeL London has worked with Changing Places to create an assessable changing facility. The facility is located at the east of the Venue, close to the entrance from Prince Regent DLR station. The room is locked but the key can be picked up close by at the Level 1 East information desk.